#!/usr/bin/env perl use strict; use warnings; use threads; use Thread::Queue 3.01; # Create a work queue for sending data to a 'worker' thread # Prepopulate it with a few work items my $work_q = Thread::Queue->new(qw/foo bar baz/); # Create a status queue to get reports from the thread my $status_q = Thread::Queue->new(); # Create a detached thread to process items from the queue threads->create(sub { # Keep grabbing items off the work queue while (defined(my $item = $work_q->dequeue())) { # Process the item from the queue print("Thread got '$item'\n"); # Ask for more work when the queue is empty if (! $work_q->pending()) { print("\nThread waiting for more work\n\n"); $status_q->enqueue('more'); } } # Final report print("Thread done\n"); $status_q->enqueue('done'); })->detach(); # More work for the thread my @work = ( [ 'bippity', 'boppity', 'boo' ], [ 'ping', 'pong' ], [ 'dit', 'dot', 'dit' ], ); # Send work to the thread while ($status_q->dequeue() eq 'more') { last if (! @work); # No more work $work_q->enqueue(@{shift(@work)}); } # Signal that there is no more work $work_q->end(); # Wait for thread to terminate $status_q->dequeue(); # Good-bye print("Done\n"); # EOF